Mother Earth Ambassador Program
The Mother Earth Ambassador Program is an experiential outdoor leadership program for girls aged 9 to 12. It has been designed to empower girls with the understanding of the inherent power and beauty of the forest, and with the many mental, physical and spiritual benefits of being in nature.
In this program participants will:
- connect with other girls to learn about the beauty and power of nature
- cultivate powerful personal connections to their inner self, one another and nature
- develop confidence and courage to make wise choices at a pivotal time in life
- be enabled to actualize their feminine leadership capacity
- learn teachings of Indigenous wisdom and environmental science using art, storytelling, games and talking circles
- create a personalized action plan to create positive change for the earth in their home, school and community
The program will be facilitated by Sarah Wade, a BC certified Elementary and Middle School Teacher with over 20 years of experience guiding multi-day wilderness expeditions and teaching programs in outdoor education centres. She has taught math and environmental science in public and private schools throughout Canada, including living and working with indigenous elders and youth in Nunavut.
Why We Developed this Program
Studies show that climate and environmental “grief” amongst children can create feelings of powerlessness. There is also overwhelming evidence that spending time in nature, forests in particular, improves physical and mental well-being of both children and adults.
It is also widely acknowledged that feminine leadership styles will be the driving force behind the kinds of social, political and environmental change we need to see in the world going forward. It is critical to support girls in this age group as our culture lacks “rites of passage” that are critical if they are to become strong and compassionate leaders of tomorrow.
Fall Program Dates
The program will take place outside of classroom time over 8 Saturdays (September 23 & 30, October 14, 21 & 28, November 4, 11 & 18), from 10 am to 4:30 pm.
The program will be hosted primarily in a forest/outdoor setting on the grounds of the Wise Earth Forest School in Metchosin on southern Vancouver Island.
$350 per child
Our intention is that every girl who wants to participate in this program is able to, and that the cost is not a barrier. To that end, we have a limited number of full bursaries available. In addition to completing the intake form (see link below) please email us if you would like to apply to receive one of these for your daughter or granddaughter.
We are currently taking applications for girls to participate in the program. Steps:
1. Complete this intake form.
2. The application will be reviewed by the program facilitator who will be touch for an interview with the parent(s) or guardian.
3. If your child is accepted into the program, you will be sent registration details and a request for payment.
Still have questions? Please get in touch.